Form I-9 Document Audit: What Is It, Where To Find It And How To Fill It Out
The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA) was established to prevent individuals who are not eligible to work in the United States from performing work. The act requires employers to complete an I-9 form for each employee within three days of hire.
Employers can demonstrate compliance by following the I-9 verification requirements and treating all new hires the same. This includes the following steps:
Completing a Form I-9 in a compliant manner involves navigating through numerous gray areas of the law and interpreting some often-conflicting and confusing instructions. What appears to be a simple form carries the potential for six-figure liability if completed incorrectly.
As United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) inspections of Forms I-9 have become more frequent, fines have become more prevalent and costly. Additionally, E-Verify rules are being enforced by both the Federal government and States. It’s imperative that employers focus on compliance with Form I-9 regulations and the proper use of E-Verify.
This Booklet write by our expert writer/speaker Margie Faulk, PHR, SHRM-CP is a senior level human resources professional with over 14 years of HR management and compliance experience. A current Compliance Advisor for HR Compliance Solutions, LLC and this is intended to provide an overview to provide information on how employers can step up their efforts in ensuring immigration compliance. (e-Book size: 8 x 11 format 20 pages).
You will also learn some other important details about Form I-9, such as: working in the United States and employment verification, discrimination, requirements, how to properly complete the I-9 electronically, and electronic storage and retention. This will ensure that you have all-round knowledge of the subject, so you can implement the changes without any issues.
- I-9 Form Internal Audit-Preparation
- Pre-planning Your I-9 Document Internal Audit and
- Correction Project-This is not a one-day project!
- Terminated I-9 Documents-Purging
- Process for Eliminating I-9 Forms to be Purged Prior to the DHS Termination Window
- I-9 Review & Correction of Active I-9 Forms
- I-9 Form Section Highlights List of Acceptable Documents
- Employer or Authorized Representative Review and Verification
- Re- verification and Rehires
- I-9 Forms Correction and Matrix
- Active/Terminated Correction Matrix: It is time to complete your matrix!